Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Perfection

Webster's Dictionary defines Perfect as:

1a : being entirely without fault or defect : flawless 
 b : satisfying all requirements : accurate
 c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept 
 d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : letter-perfect
 e : legally valid

How many times have you gotten ready to have friends or family over and you were striving for perfection. Whether it be the cleanliness of your house or the food you have prepared. Maybe you just want every one to behave perfectly; the kids won't throw tantrums or be defiant, maybe you just want your spouse to be a gentleman and not tell that dirty joke he insists on telling everyone, albeit it is humorous.
 
How many times have you snapped at your spouse or kids while you strive for this said perfection?
 
I think we have all been there.
But have you ever thought about the message you are sending?
 
I realized this the other day when talking to a very dear friend. She mentioned my house was always spotless. sigh. Yes, I worked my butt off, got up way too early, gated my son in his room so my house could look this way. And now I realized as she described how clean my house was, that I had set some standard for myself that I was not intending. I do not want my friends, who also have children, to feel bad when there houses look like a toy bomb went off or heaven forbid your house looks "lived-in"...because that is how my house looks everyday! 
I had never thought about how my strive for perfection impacted other people.
 
My favorite of the definitions of Perfect is C, an abstract concept.  Because perfection is in the eye of the beholder, not a standard set by one person.  
 
For me, allowing people to see my house "messy", clothes in the laundry basket, toys laying around, maybe even some dishes in the sink (OH MY) forces me to expose some part of me that is vulnerable. I don't like feeling vulnerable and I don't like other people seeing the true, imperfect Tara.
 
 
 

No comments: